Applying for accreditation can be a headache-inducing process for your staff. With so many requirements, it can be difficult to decipher what exactly is needed for your application. Your catalog will play a large role in preparing for an accreditation review since it will host the majority of your required documentation. If your institution is seeking accreditation with the New England Commission of Higher Education, use the below checklist to prepare your catalog for review:
When applying for accreditation with NECHE, your institution will be required to have a current, accurate official publication that is accessible to both students and the general public. This requirement is typically fulfilled by your institution’s catalog and/or website, and must specify the following information:
- Purposes and objectives or your institution
- Entrance requirements and procedures
- Rules and regulations for student conduct
- Programs and courses
- Degree completion requirements
- Full-time and part-time faculty and degrees held
- Costs, refunds, and other items related to attending or withdrawing from the institution
Documentation that must be Cited in your Catalog or Website
The NECHE also requires that you submit a chart indicating where in the institution’s catalog specific information can be found. The following information must be included either in your catalog or website, with the specific catalog page number or URL cited for reference:
- The institutional mission statement
- Detailed information about the institution’s academic programs
- Information about liberal arts offerings
- Program objectives and curricula
- The institution’s grading or evaluation procedures.
- Information on the evaluation of student work
- Information regarding the general education requirement
- For institutions offering only graduate programs, a summary of the general education prerequisites
- A description of the current student body
A brief description must also be included in your catalog outlining your institution’s procedures for ensuring the currency and accuracy of all official publications, including both your catalog and website.
For the most up-to-date information and requirements about applying for accreditation with the New England Commission of Higher Education, you can visit the Becoming Accredited page of their website.